With so many young Australians packing their bags and heading overseas, or having their dream of running a location independent business and setting themselves up in Bali with just a laptop. James Ridley from Atlas Wealth provides us with what advice do you have for people who want to go work overseas.
Topics covered in this episode
- What steps you need to take before you leave Australia
- How to maximise your time while you are overseas
- What needs to happen before you come home to Australia
- Setting up a bank account in the country you are living or working in
- What happens to your HECS Debt when you are aboard
- Tips for sending money back home
- The difference between being a resident and nonresident for tax purposes
- QROPS – Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme
- IRS – The Internal Revenue Service is the revenue service of the United States federal government.
- Setting up a bank account overseas – Find out more about Transfer Wise
- Work out your residency status for tax purposes
What is the most random country you that your client lives in?
James – I have a client who runs a business in Moldova. (Not sure where that is Find it on a map)
About James Ridley
James is an experienced financial planner who brings a multitude of skills and experience to the table when it comes to providing Australian expat financial advice. After completing university, James was an accountant for four years at which point he then moved into the financial services sector and became a financial planner.
Jame’s favorite travel destination
- French Alps
About Atlas Wealth
Atlas Wealth Management is the leading provider of Aussie expat financial advice and has won multiple awards for the services that we provide to Australian expats overseas. No matter where you are based in the world, we have the experience in providing financial planning and wealth management services to the Aussie expat community. With clients in over 18 countries, it doesn’t matter whether you are based in New York, Hong Kong, Dubai or London we have the skill and expertise in ensuring that the advice that you receive is tailored to you. Our specialty is in providing Aussie expat financial advice and all of our financial advisers are degree qualified with numerous post-graduate certifications. We are the global financial adviser to Australian expats.
Find out more